Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Vision to Hand awarded PSA Certificate of Excellence 2011



I'm happy to announce that Vision to Hand (oil on linen, 36" x 26") received a Certificate of Excellence from the Portrait Society of America this year!

It's what I call a "figurative portrait" because it is both a portrait of artist Diane Feissel, and also a figurative work that conveys an idea that is relevant to the subject, and also goes beyond the subject. I guess you could say that I "use" the subject to explore a theme, but she's not just a model, a tabula rasa onto which I project that constellation of ideas; she's an individual who is also partly the source of these ideas.

Matthew Inness asked me to describe my thoughts about this painting, and he posted the painting and description in his wonderful blog Underpaintings. (If you like realist art and you haven't yet read Matt's blog, check it out. You won't want to miss all the interesting news and commentary.) Thank you, Matt, for including my work along with all the other Portrait Society award-winning entries. Congratulations to all these exceptional artists!

2 comments:

Eliza said...

Congratulations, Alex! It's a wonderful painting.

MCG said...

Congratulations!