Thursday, September 30, 2010

"A Day in the Life. . ."


When artist Wende Caporale asked me if she could come to my studio to interview me for an article, I was surprised and honored. to say the least. Wende has been writing a very interesting series of articles in the Portrait Society of America's section of International Artist Magazine, and I always enjoy reading her articles. First of all, she picks a variety of artists to write about, second of all, her way of following an artist through a day's work is original, and she always reveals things about artists that don't come to light in a more formal type of article or interview. Actually, as the day approached, I was little nervous, wondering about what she would say! (My fears were unfounded.)

What resulted was a very intricate and sensitive description of the work I have been doing towards my upcoming show at the Dowling Walsh Gallery in Rockland, Maine. The show will combine my landscape and figurative work, ranging from large aerial landscapes to intimate scenes of particular places and the people who inhabit them. The gallery hasn't firmed up the date yet, but it will be sometime in the summer of 2011.

The other result of this experience was that I got to spend a day with Wende, who is a delightful, insightful and empathetic person. I'm so glad to have had the chance to get to know her a little better and spend several hours talking about a variety of things!