Saturday, December 12, 2009

Judge and Jury

Photo by David Lee

The Parkland Art League, a large and active organization in Pennsylvania's Lehigh Valley, asked me and Nancy Bea Miller to jury and judge their Annual Juried Show at the Allentown Art Museum last Thursday. It took more than an hour to drive there, which made me realize the long commute a couple of my students have who live out in that area and belong to this art league.

Since Nancy Bea and I have slightly different styles and different taste in art, we wondered on the trip up to Allentown whether our difference would make the selection process more difficult--but it actually went smoothly, though it took a lot of thought. There were so many good paintings! Going through this experience makes one appreciate what jurors go through, and how tough it is to decide.

Here I am with Nancy Bea on the steps of the museum.